While you should get the bulk of your vitamin and mineral requirements from food, sometimes supplementation is essential to making sure you consume a full profile of nutrients. Here we take a look at some crucial supplements which will help you optimise performance, increase energy, positively alter body composition and increase longevity.
Top Five Essential Supplements
Your body produces Vitamin D in response to sunlight striking the skin. The majority of people will not be exposed to the requisite amount of sunlight needed for optimal vitamin D production and, therefore, will need to supplement their intake. The benefits of vitamin D include:
- Healthy Bones & Teeth – Vitamin D is essential in the maintenance of phosphorus and calcium levels in the blood. These minerals make up the majority of the hard substance that form bones and teeth.
- Reduced Risk of Depression – Studies have shown an important link between vitamin D levels and instances of depression. The introduction of vitamin D supplementation for those suffering from depression was shown to produce an improvement in symptoms.
- Weight Loss – A placebo based study showed that people supplementing vitamin D experienced increased rates of weight loss against control cases.
Vitamin D supplements have been shown across several studies to have significant positive effects on a range of key health indicators. Take the hassle out of hitting your vitamin D requirements with a Healthspan supplement subscription. They will send you out a replenishment every time you’re reaching the end of your pack. Get 10% off at this link.
Cod Liver Oil
While fresh fish is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, Cod Liver Oil supplementation offers a broader range of health benefits.
- Omega-3 – Omega-3 has been shown to have a wide range of health benefits including improved sleep, reduced blood pressure and enhanced memory retention.
- Inflammation – Studies have shown a link between taking a cod liver oil supplement and reduction of inflammation. This could also have an impact on instances of high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Eye Health – Researchers have found a link between omega-3 oils and the prevention of age-related macular degeneration.
Cod Liver Oil supplementation, when dosed correctly, has no side effects and has been proven to have several health benefits. Healthspan are offering TYI customers 10% off when they use our discount code: AFFHS102019
Used in India for thousands of years both medicinally and as a spice, turmeric has a wide range of health benefits and is becoming an increasingly popular addition to peoples supplement stack. The benefits include:
- Antioxidant Capacity – With increasing evidence showing oxidative damage as a critical mechanism in ageing and disease, antioxidants are essential in your quest for health. Turmeric increases your body’s capacity for antioxidants and can also combat free radicals itself.
- Brain Function – Turmeric has been shown to contribute to an increase in hormones that encourage the multiplication of neurons. This, in turn, is believed to improve memory and even make you smarter.
- Cancer Prevention – Research has shown that turmeric can contribute to a reduction in the growth of cancerous cells and even contribute to the death of these cells.
The benefits of turmeric supplementation are still being studied and better understood, and new benefits are emerging all the time. You can get your turmeric direct to your door with Healthspan. Don’t miss a dose with their subscribe and save service. Visit this link to get 10% off your turmeric.
Magnesium supplementation is becoming increasingly popular. With deficiency causing a wide range of life-affecting symptoms, maintaining optimal levels is essential to good health. Benefits of magnesium supplementation include:
- Diabetes – Magnesium has been shown to assist in the prevention and management of diabetes. Low levels of magnesium are associated with insulin resistance.
- Heart Health – Involved in transporting electrolytes into cells, magnesium helps the heart maintain a healthy rhythm. Deficiency has been shown to increase the risk of an irregular heartbeat.
- Exercise Performance – During exercise, your body has been shown to require 10-20% more magnesium than it does at rest. Magnesium helps move blood sugar into muscles which disposes of lactate, a cause of cramping.
You can get magnesium from food, but often supplementation is required to get the amount needed for optimal function. You can get magnesium direct to your door with Healthspan’s Subscribe and Save service with 10% off using our discount code: AFFHS102019
The balance of bacteria in your gut is thought to regulate a whole host of bodily processes and even impact on the brain. With no two gut flora the same, it is incredibly beneficial to install the good bacteria that will lead to a positive net balance. The benefits of taking probiotics include:
- Gut Flora – Probiotics consist of good bacteria. In introducing this good bacteria to your gut, you are attempting to redress the balance of harmful bacteria. Consequences of a bad bacteria balance include obesity, digestive issues and mental health issues.
- Allergies – Probiotics have been shown to have an impact on the severity of symptoms associated with allergies such as inflammation. To ascertain whether you have an allergy, you should take an allergy test.
- General Health – The restoration of a good bacteria balance can lead to a wide variety of health improvements. Gut flora is thought to be responsible for many of the body’s day to day functions.
Probiotics have such a broad-ranging impact that they’re considered an essential supplement. Probiotics are best taken with a prebiotic supplement which optimises uptake. You can get 10% off all supplements at Healthspan when you use our discount code: AFFHS102019