The stereotype of women craving chocolate is fairly well deserved, and even makes sense nutritionally – as cocoa is quite a good source of magnesium. Magnesium is one of many essential nutrients, and it can also help relax the muscles – making it even more desirable during unforgiving periods.
The trouble is that most chocolates are jam-packed with sugar, additives and processed ingredients that do nothing to help our bodies. But with homemade chocolate, you know exactly what’s going into it, and can massively reduce the amount of sugar (consequently increasing the amount of cocoa and magnesium!
This chocolate recipe is free from the 7 most common allergens and low in sugar. We’ve thrown in a little bit of chilli powder for an extra kick and a goji berry topping for added flavour. Goji berries have natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties, meaning they’re excellent for keeping your gut in top form and helping keep your hormones in check.
- Hands-on time: 10 minutes
- Set time: 60 minutes
- Serves: 24 chocolates
Homemade Chocolate Recipe
- 230g cocoa butter
- 100g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 30g Goji berries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 8 drops stevia
- Grate the cocoa butter until it’s shredded into tiny pieces. This is to accelerate the melting.
- Melt the grated cocoa butter in a double boiler, or place in a small saucepan on top of a pot of boiling water.
- Once the cocoa butter has melted completely, take it off the heat and stir in the cocoa powder, liquid stevia, vanilla extract, and chili powder. Mix well until the ingredients are smoothly combined.
- Pour the liquid chocolate into the cavities of a silicon chocolate mould, using a spoon. Top each chocolate with a few Goji berries.
- Let the chocolates chill for an hour in the refrigerator until it is firm before removing it from the mould and serving/storing for later.
If you are going through the change, or you know someone that is, then we recommend the website Health and Her, they’re dedicated to helping you with any symptom that you might have. They even have a symptom checker for you to input any issues you might have.
For example, if you’re perimenopausal, and are having rather sporadic period and often the symptoms are more extreme than usual. You may find cramps start earlier in your cycle and this can occur from your early 40’s onwards. Managing the more extreme symptoms of perimenopause can be challenging whilst out and about – these patches are discreet and last up to 12 hours, making them perfect for a busy day at work.
Period Cramp Relief Patches are 100% natural, no chemicals, and work wonders for women during periods. The two active ingredients, Menthol and Eucalyptus oil, relax the muscles and provide discrete, continuous relief from period and muscle cramps. Use these while enjoying a few of your recently made Goji berry chocolate bars and the magnesium will also help your muscles relax – giving you double the pain relief! (and a scrumptious, guilt-free snack)