Who doesn’t love a bit of houmous? Well, we love it so much that we’ve created a recipe that transforms this middle eastern dip into a meal of its own. This recipe is vegetarian, but you can get creative with it if you want. This isn’t a quick win though – you’ll want to have around 90 minutes spare to create this delicious meal.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 4-6 servings
- 600g cooked chickpeas
- 190g cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 80ml lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 120ml cup cold water
- 4 eggs
- 50g loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped finely
- 175g quartered cherry tomatoes
- 180g cups diced cucumber
- 2 stalks of green onions, sliced finely
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 cauliflower head, chopped into large florets
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced in thick matchsticks, about 2 inches in length
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and pinch of pepper
- 3 beets, peeled and sliced into wedges
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and pinch of pepper
- 90g Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 35g cup feta, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, drizzled on top
- 1/2 tsp za’atar, sprinkled on top
Plus, your preferred pita to serve
- Place the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt into your food processor and blitz until pureed.
- While the blender is still running, gradually add water, 2 Tbsp at a time, until it starts to form a really creamy consistency.
- If you’d like your Houmous a little creamier, just add more water.
- Place your eggs in a small pot and cover entirely with water, bring to a boil and keep boiling for 1 minute.
- Next, take them off the heat, cover the pot and let it sit for 12 minutes.
- Run the eggs under cold water and allow them to cool completely before peeling the shells off.
- Once peeled, slice two of the eggs into wedges and the other two into thick one-inch circles.
- Prepare your salad vegetables and mix them together in a bowl. Then, pour lemon juice over them and season with sea salt and pepper. Stir to combine completely.
- Preheat the oven to 200¬∫C (Gas mark 6). Prepare the vegetables, place them in a bowl, add in olive oil, granulated garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Arrange the veggies on a baking tray lined with heat-proof paper. Don’t overcrowd the trays, so that the veggies can get nice and crisp.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until they’ve browned slightly.
- Prep the beets and place them in a pot. Then, add enough water, so the beets are slightly covered but not submerged.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Allow to steam for 15 minutes, until the beets are tender.
- Pour apple cider vinegar over the beets and season them with sea salt and pepper.
- Once the hummus is done, spoon it onto a platter or large bowl.
- Assemble the toppings in layers, first with the roasted vegetables, then the steamy beets, the tabouli on top of that, then the eggs and finally, your additional toppings.
- You could place each topping in little piles, rather than mixing them together if you have picky eaters around.
- Serve with a warmed pita (or 3) and enjoy!
When we talk about good fats, it’s easy to get confused and add in some foods which are just damaging to you. We’ve made it easy for you, by picking the best options from the online shop Vitalife Health, which delivers these items straight to your door and have amazing deals too.
Firstly, we have delicious Avocado Oil, made from 100% avocados. It’s a very high heat cooking oil, and due to their unique process in extracting the oil, they retain 60% of the Vitamin E. This is the perfect high mono-unsaturated oil which has a smooth taste that you will love. The perfect way to add good fats into your diet.
Next up we have Extra-Virgin Olive Oil which has a delicious fragrance. The perfect way to lightly fry foods and add important vitamins, or simply top your salad with it. This oil is made from cold extraction of the olives and makes any cooking a real treat.
Now we have a delicious treat, which is actually good for you. Vitalife Health has the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter called Montezumas Chocolate Truffle-filled Peanut Butter, which is available in bags, or glass jars. Peanut Butter and Chocolate is a winning combination in anyone’s book and this delicious truffle filled milk chocolate bar is no exception! Just like Reece’s, but full of good fats, check them out!